Re: Official response to RDF-ISSUE-132: JSON-LD/RDF Alignment -- Sub-issue on the re-definition of Linked Data

From: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 17:10:00 -0400
To: Gregg Kellogg <gregg@greggkellogg.net>
CC: David Booth <david@dbooth.org>, Markus Lanthaler <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net>, 'public-rdf-comments' <public-rdf-comments@w3.org>
On 06/09/2013 06:00 PM, Gregg Kellogg wrote:
> On Jun 9, 2013, at 2:28 PM, David Booth <david@dbooth.org> wrote:
> Overall, it is very good and needs very little change to fix the
> problem that it currently redefines the term "Linked Data" in a
> misleading way (by omitting "RDF").
>
> Gregg wrote: All things considered, given the explicit reference to
> [Linked Data], I think that these properties form a manifesto that
> probably can't be repeated often enough. I would be a -0.1 on
> removing the redefinition.

-1 to removing the redefinition. We've just gone through a perma-thread
where people couldn't agree on what the document being linked to states.
Multiple people have stated it was a draft of an unfinished idea. The
document has spelling/grammar errors. It's not even a W3C Note.

I don't think TimBL's document helps clarify what Linked Data is and
isn't. We went through months of debate to come up with this section
with multiple people from the RDF WG agreeing to the text in the current
document after extended argumentation from both sides.

-1 to changing the section with the text provided by David. I do agree
with David's principle of underscoring the messaging that JSON-LD can be
used to losslessly serialize the RDF data model... but I feel like the
spec text already states that both informatively and normatively.

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
http://blog.meritora.com/launch/