Re: Refers Or Denotes?

Are "denote" and "refer to" really used synonymously in philosophy? As
far as I remember, "refer to" is used only with reference to proper
names while "denote" is also used regarding the extension of a predicate
(in RDF that would be the relation between an rdfs:Class and its
instances). Thus, in the context of WebID I'd prefer using "refer to".
Or does a predicate refer to the objects in its extension?

- Adrian

https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/raw-file/tip/spec/identity-respec.html#overview

> Here is some backing for this:
>
> Frege's foundational "Über Sinn und Bedeutung" seems to mostly have
been
> translated as "Sense and Reference" but also as "Sense and
Denotation"
> Prof. Robert Brandom in "Making it Explicit" always uses "referers
to" and
> puts "denotes" in parenthesis right after.
> Gareth Evans who wrote the 500 page book "The Varieties of Reference"
used
> both terms in his article "The causal theory of names"
> http://spruce.flint.umich.edu/~simoncu/325/evans.pdf
>

>> However, Kingsley does bring up an excellent point, which is that we
do need
> to carefully distinguish denote/refer-to, on the one hand, from the
AWWW
> terminology of "identify" on the other. What is identified may not be
what is
> referred to, and vice versa; and IRIs may refer even when they don't
identify
> anything.
>

> Looking this up here:
>
>  http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#identification
>
> Do you say that because they use the term, indirect identification
too?

>   http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#indirect-identification
>
> This is indeed the type of vagueness we are trying to be very careful
> avoid.
>
> I moved the text the following text from talk of identify to
distinguishing.

https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/raw-file/tip/spec/identity-respec.html#overview

> For example:
>
> [[
> The WebID Profile URI - "http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card" -
denotes
> the document describing the person (or more generally any agent) who
is the
> referent of the WebID URI.
> The WebID Profile gives the sense of the WebID: its RDF Graph
contains a
> Concise Bounded Description of the WebID such that this subgraph
forms a
> definite description of the referent of the WebID, that is, a
description
> that distinguishes the referent of that WebID from all other things
in the
> world.
> The document can for example contain relations to another document
depicting
> the WebID referent. Or it can related the WebID to Principals used by

> different authentication protocols. ( More information on WebID and
other
> authentication protocols can be found on the WebID Identity
Interoperability
> page ).
> ]]
>
> Though I think "identify" has a role too, especially when one is
relating
> two names via what when made explicit turns out to be an owl:sameAs
> description.
>

>> Pat
>>

>> On Feb 12, 2013, at 2:58 PM, Henry Story wrote:
>>
>>> A question that came up on the WebID mailing list. We'd just like
some
> clarification
>>> for the use of denotes, as the issue has come up there.

> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/raw-file/tip/spec/identity-respec.html
]
Organization,
> Group, Device, etc.)."

> serious thought on this matter) [1] has opted to use what would
equate to:

Organization,

http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/WD-rdf11-concepts-20130115/#resources-and-statements

> .
RDF 1.1
> Concepts and Abstract Syntax edition .
>>>
>>> I am not sure why "denotes" is being taken up by the RDF group
nowadays,
> when most philosophy books and logic books tend to use the word
"refer". Most
> engineers use the word refer too on a daily basis.
>>>
>>> In fact it is quite clear from the RDF concepts text that the two
words are
> near synonymous, since what an IRI denotes is called its referent:
>>>
>>> [[
>>> Any IRI or literal denotes some thing in the universe of discourse.
These

https://plus.google.com/112399767740508618350/about

>>> Social Web Architect
>>> http://bblfish.net/

>> IHMC                                     (850)434 8903 or (650)494
3973
>> 40 South Alcaniz St.           (850)202 4416   office
>> Pensacola                            (850)202 4440   fax
>> FL 32502                              (850)291 0667   mobile
>> phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes
>>

> Social Web Architect
> http://bblfish.net/

Besuchen Sie das hbz vom 11. bis 13. März 2013 auf dem 5. Kongress
Bibliothek und Information (BID) in Leipzig am Stand F06/Ebene 0 im
Congress Center! Weitere Informationen finden Sie hier:
http://www.hbz-nrw.de/aktuelles/nachrichten/Kongress_Bibliothek_und_Information