Re: JSON-LD should be an RDF syntax

David Wood wrote:
> On Apr 29, 2013, at 9:06, David Booth <david@dbooth.org> wrote:
>
>>> Over extending what RDF is remains its ultimate problem. RDF doesn't
>>> have to cloud the definition of everything in order for it to be useful :-)
>> That's directly backwards.  What's clouding the definition is *not* RDF, but the attempt to redefine the term "Linked Data" to mean something different than what it was specifically coined to mean:
>> http://www.w3.org/standards/semanticweb/data
>> http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html
>
> Yes, agreed. Linked Data builds on RDF and not the reverse. That's why I said that it is fine with me that JSON-LD says "Linked Data" and not RDF.
>
> I am sympathetic to those wishing to broaden the serializations and use of the RDF data model but not to those wishing to include (e.g.) Excel under Linked Data.

It's all a little moot, Linked Data has a 5-star Rating, many people
want to argue that only 5-star is real "Linked Data", but 1,2,3,4-star
is also Linked Data by definition. The inclusion of stars makes it
ambiguous.

So as with all ambiguous definitions, this can be debated for another 10
years without it having any bearing on anything. It's the debating of
these things which muddies the waters, not the ambiguity itself.

Best, Nathan