Re: normalization issues with Turtle spec tests

On 07/04/13 07:46, Ruben Verborgh wrote:
> Dear Eric,
>
>> The tests are enforcing checking that the term generaged from e.g. '"+1"^^xsd:integer' is distinct from '1' (which is the same as '"1"^^xsd:integer').
>>   https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/rdf/raw-file/default/rdf-concepts/index.html#dfn-literal-equality
>> This might be an opportunity to comment out some code.
>
> 1) Do you perhaps know the reason for this choice—and has this changed somewhere along the way?
> If I take
> @prefix xsd: <http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#>.
>      <a> <b> "1"^^xsd:integer.
>      <a> <b> "+1"^^xsd:integer.
>      <a> <b> "0001"^^xsd:integer.
> and put it through cwm, I get
>      <a>     <b> 1,
>                  1,
>                  1 .
> and if I put that again through cwm, I get
>      <a>     <b> 1 .
> However, does the section you point to means this changed so that '"1"^^xsd:integer’ and the others are no longer equivalent to ‘1’?

What is going on is more than just parsing.  Triples are generated and
then stored. then tested.

The Turtle test suite is focusing specifically on parsing because the
Turtle parsing algorithm is about the conversion of UTF-8 bytes to RDF
abstract syntax.

The literal equality Eric refers to is at the most basic RDF abstract
syntax.  By having value-based equality - which can be done by
canonicalising in parsing (sort of - need to consider XSD derived types)
- is going beyond this basic level.

It might be worth annotating the test manifest to indicate the assumptions.

The thing that has changed is the fact there is an extensive test suite.
  All this is the same for RDF/XML.

	Andy