Re: Use of XSD namespace in RDF recommendations

From: Paul Tyson <phtyson@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 20:15:35 -0500
To: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Cc: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>, Antoine Zimmermann <antoine.zimmermann@emse.fr>, "public-rdf-comments@w3.org" <public-rdf-comments@w3.org>, "richard@ex-parrot.com" <richard@ex-parrot.com>
On Tue, 2012-09-04 at 19:38 +0200, Ivan Herman wrote:

> I find the OWL 2 datatype definition possibilities one of the most
>  interesting and potentially important part of OWL 2. I actually wish
>  the relevant part of the specification was also made more known and
>  possibly used in isolation; at present it is burried in the overall
>  OWL 2 spec, which is of course not an easy read...

Many months ago when I was doing some OWL2 work I was foiled in my
attempt to use this feature because the major reasoners (pellet, HermiT,
Fact++) were not able to do anything useful with custom datatypes. I
don't recall if Protege OWL handled them at that time, either.

Wrong list for that discussion, but I agree it is a very useful feature.
I have no knowledge of current implementation status of custom datatypes
in various OWL tools.

Regards,
--Paul