RE: Definition of "Resource"

Richard,

As I have stated - and obviously proven - many times, I am definitely NOT an
expert in web technologies. I came to this via my own path and am now trying
to learn RDFa well enough to write some documentation for Manu and Ivan that
will help regular web designers to understand and use RDFa. One of the
things that makes that task more difficult for me is that a lot of people
involved with RDF and RDFa seems to be working really hard to redefine a lot
of basic terms or make up new terms for things that seemed pretty clear to
me in the first place. In almost every case, those new definitions or terms
are less clear than the original. They tend to be more esoteric or make a
big deal of a distinction that can be easily handled by either depending on
the context in which they are used or by adding an adjective when necessary.

My comment about jingoism was not meant to insult any one individual's
intentions. It was meant as a red flag or warning of how all this
redefinition of perfectly good terms appears from outside the group. That
said, the tendency toward creating exclusivity through jargon is always
present in ANY group. Try listening to Snoop Dog for a few minutes. However,
a web standards group, by definition, has the opposite goal. While
mathematical correctness is extremely important, the terms used to define
and describe said mathematical correctness need to be accessible and not
produce too much cognitive load just trying to read any one sentence about
said standard.

Regular people and regular web designers already have quite a lot of new
concepts and terms to learn when they want to start using RDF and RDFa. Some
of these new terms are quite necessary. However, I think that when a group
starts working on redefining terms that are already well established then
that group is getting perilously close to "jumping the shark," so to speak.
In other words, alienating potential users by adding more complexity and
cognitive load than many of those potential users will feel is necessary. I
feel that any redefinition of the term "resource" or creating a new term to
mean "resource" falls under that category.

As a technical writer, when writing about this topic I would simply state
what "resource" means within the context of what I am currently writing.
Then I would simply use the word "resource" all by itself. Even though I
have essentially redefined the word "resource," that redefinition is well
within the expected type of redefinition for that word. My definition is
merely a narrowing of the existing definition based upon how things within
that universe of everything are either accessed or referred to. That is an
accepted form of redefinition for the word "resource" and does not add too
much cognitive load. If I were writing or speaking in a broader context that
may include other kinds of "resources" then I would add an adjective before
the word "resource" or say something like "in the context of web
technologies" after it. The adjective used would depend upon what other
contexts were being discussed. If I were disucssing HTML and RDF (and there
was some subtle but important distinction in the definition of "resource"
within the context of what I was writing) then I would likely use "HTML
resource" and "RDF resource."  Within the context of that writing, people
would know exactly what I meant. If, for some bizarre reason, I were
discussing both energy resources and the "resources" more commonly discussed
by this group (perhaps to illustrate the flexibility of a word like
"resource"), then I would likely use the phrases "energy resource" and "web
resource," having adequately defined each earlier in the writing.

I know all this seems a little too "loosey goosey" for some people who have
spent a lot of time in the computer science field or designing web
standards. There is a strong desire to find a single word or phrase that
will always mean the exact same thing in any context. A word or phrase that
is not used anywhere else. Something that someone can google and always get
the exact right definition. Unfortunately, all the current words are taken.
And none of the "synonyms" for "resource" are as wonderfully all-inclusive
as "resource," which allows for it to include the universe of everything.
This is why phrases that include "source" or "entity" cannot work. These
words have built into them more narrow definitions that do not easily allow
for them to include the universe of everything. "Source" means where
something came from, not the thing itself. And "entity" refers to any
"thing" but not any concept or relationship.

So, unless you make up some entirely new word (such as "wresource" which is
a concatenation of "web" and "resource") or start using XML prefix notation
in regular writing (such as rdf:resource) and somehow get everyone in the
world to start using that same notation, then you are kind of stuck with
just plain old "resource." And I don't think that is such a bad thing.

Grant

P.S. Now that I think of it, "wresource" is just silly enough that it may
catch on amongst web designers. It is not as catchy as "phishing" but you
never know.