Re: JSON-LD Syntax request for FPWD via RDF WG

From: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 22:40:15 -0400
To: RDF Comments <public-rdf-comments@w3.org>
CC: Linked JSON <public-linked-json@w3.org>
On 05/23/2012 09:12 PM, Richard Cyganiak wrote:
> On 24 May 2012, at 01:58, Manu Sporny wrote:
>> The JSON model is capable of round-tripping the RDF model. The RDF
>> model is not capable of round-tripping the JSON model.
>
> That should not be an issue  trying to round-trip HTML+RDFa loses
> the pure-HTML parts too, for example.

Good point.

Here's what's concerning me - we don't say that HTML+RDFa is a
serialization of RDF... we say that RDFa is a serialization of RDF that
can be expressed in HTML... HTML can hold many other types of data.

Similarly, JSON-LD is not /just/ a serialization of RDF... you /can/
serialize RDF using JSON-LD, but you can also mix-in regular JSON. So
JSON-LD can hold other types of data than just RDF.

This conversation is getting so pedantic that I want to slap myself...
so I'll stop here. :)

>> In order for the RDF model to support round-tripping the JSON
>> model - it would have to support null-able subjects
>
> What's that? Just property-value pairs without a subject?

Yep.

>> and it would have to support plain literal predicates.
>
> Right. Why not just stick them onto the end of some standard
> namespace?

(super-pendantic mode unlocked) - because that an IRI, not a plain literal.

>> I would be fine with this language:
>>
>> JSON-LD is a language that is capable of expressing the RDF model
>> and performing full JSON-LD to RDF to JSON-LD round-tripping.
>
> Shouldn't that be RDF to JSON-LD to RDF?

Yes, you're right.

> So how about: JSON-LD is a language capable of serializing any RDF
> graph, and performing full RDF to JSON-LD to RDF round-tripping.

Works for me, committed:

https://github.com/json-ld/json-ld.org/commit/584dec5b3d328fdd8f8d85bc9403b256fbc83ed3#L0R2368

and live (see Appendix B.1):

http://json-ld.org/spec/latest/json-ld-syntax/#rdf

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: PaySwarm Website for Developers Launched
http://digitalbazaar.com/2012/02/22/new-payswarm-alpha/