Re: The rdf:JSONLiteral datatype

Hi Dominik,

(This is a personal response and I'm not speaking for the WG.)

It seems there are number of obvious objections that could be raised against introducing such a datatype and I think they would need answering (for example in a “Rationale” section attached to the proposal).

 • What is the use case for this datatype?
 • Are there examples of systems that currently use JSON literals in RDF literals?
 • Are there examples of currently published RDF data that use such JSON literals?
 • Why isn't xsd:string sufficient for representing JSON literals?
 • Given that anyone can define new RDF datatypes, why should RDF-WG do it?
 • Why is this within the scope of RDF-WG's charter [1]?

Best,
Richard

[1] http://www.w3.org/2011/01/rdf-wg-charter