Re: comments/questions on JSON-LD spec (but _not_ for the CG->WG transition!)

Markus, Gregg

this is, sort of, my joint reply for both of you, I would prefer to avoid repeating myself... And thanks to both of you!

First of all, I think what this discussion reveals for me is that the relevant section in the syntax document needs major editorial work, eventually, to make these things clearer even if we remain with the current syntax. That would clearly improve things. I do have a clearer picture now; maybe some of the issues we discussed should be retrofitted in the document. I am still wondering whether the term '@graph' is really intuitive for 'pure' JSON users, though it is clearly intuitive for me...

Two things:

- It is a little bit unclear at the moment whether JSON-LD has the notion of syntax for nested graphs or not. Markus, I may misunderstand what you write, but you say:

[[[
>> Note that TriG, as it stands, does not allow nested graphs, ie,
>>
>> <URI> {
>>   <URI1> {
>>   }
>> }
>>
>> is not accepted.
>
> Neither does JSON-LD at the moment.
]]]

because you do give an example below of nested graphs in the syntax.

But that is probably my mistake; as Andy already mentioned separately, in SPARQL this seems to be (essentially) syntactic sugar. I may be wrong and TriG does allow such constructs (or will allow it to have a compatibility with the SPARQL query syntax) but I guess it would also be syntactic sugar (we have ruled out nested graphs as a WG resolution a few weeks ago). My understanding of your explanation is that this is the same in JSON-LD. If so, this is great because harmonization on that is good.

(I must admit I did not realize that such nested syntax is allowed in SPARQL either, thanks to Andy for pointing that out.)

Something to make clear in the document?

- As for the current JSON-LD syntax choices: I know you guys (and Manu) will hate me but I would have probably chosen a slightly different approach. For me, there is conflation of two different issues: on the one hand, the necessity, due to the limitations of the JSON syntax, of explicitly enumerating the content (sometimes) to avoid repeating the @context and, on the other hand, the legitimate need for the notion of graphs. I would have approached this issue slightly differently syntax-wise.

For the 'JSON' issue, I would have chosen a keyword to make that explicit, without muddling the waters. Something like

{
   "@context" : { ... whatever ... },
   "@content" : [
      { ... }
      { ... }
    ]
}

with the obvious understanding that "@content" is unnecessary if there is only one top level object (just like you do now with the top level "@graph" right now). That seems to be clear, clean, and does not introduce a new, overloaded notion for the JSON user (and is fairly clear for an RDF user). Yes, I know that we try to keep the number of keywords low, but, well, something is clearly needed here.

On the other hand, to denote a graph, I would have made explicit that an object, well, is a graph. Something like

{  "@id"   : "URI" ,
   "@type" : "@graph",
   "@content" : [
      { ... },
      { ... }
   ],
}

and the missing "@type":"@graph" simply means that we are talking about the default graph. Yes, this usage of "@content" is almost identical to the current usage of "@graph", I realize that, but I believe it provides a cleaner separation of the concepts, and a better conceptual hierarchy of terms for users: use the concept of 'graphs' only if you really need it (which I do not believe would happen at the 'entry level', so to say).

All syntax choices are a matter of personal taste, so I will not lie down the road if the group takes up the current JSON-LD syntax. But I thought I would raise that anyway...

Cheers, and thanks for your patience:-)

Ivan

----
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/