Re: Skolemization .well-known prefix: genid --> bnode or blanknode

David,

On 16 Jul 2012, at 03:52, David Booth wrote:
> I am surprised to see that the ".well-known" prefix for skolemized
> bnodes is currently "genid":
> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/rdf/raw-file/default/rdf-concepts/index.html#section-skolemization
> I think "bnode" or "blanknode" would be much more suggestive of its
> purpose, and therefore more helpful to the community.  Many (most?)
> instance URIs are generated anyway, so calling it a "genid" isn't saying
> much.
>
> I suggest changing "genid" to "bnode" or "blanknode".

There was a poll between the alternatives "bnode", "genid" and "skolem" here:
http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/meeting/2011-05-25

"genid" won. IIRC the argument that carried the day against "bnode" was: "It's not a bnode."

Lots of background discussion linked from here:
http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/track/issues/40

and in two threads named "Re: genid:" and "Re: Skolemization and RDF Semantics" in April 2011:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-wg/2011Apr/thread.html

Best,
Richard