Re: Turtle quotation idea unicode

On Fri, 2012-02-24 at 16:11 +0100, Henry Story wrote:
> I noticed that there are two long quotation mechanism that do the same thing """ and '''
>
> Now that unicode tooling is widespread - it was certainly not so 15 years ago - why not make
> one of those be a pure unicode string? This is something I was thinking would be useful in Scala
> for regexps for example, where having to decode the number of backslashes makes a nice notation
> unreadable. I'll suggest it in Scala too. But it seems that this would be useful here too.

I am confused.  Turtle documents are by definition always UTF-8.  What
do you propose would be the difference between """ and '''?

I do however agree that adding ' and ''' with no distinct purpose other
than to complicate parsers and bloat the grammar was a poor idea and a
waste of potential.  It came from SPARQL and we are probably stuck with
it for that reason.

-dr