Re: RDF 1.1 IRIs and %-escaping

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 14:07:52 +0200
To: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
Cc: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>, Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>, public-rdf-comments Comments <public-rdf-comments@w3.org>, Giovanni Tummarello <giovanni.tummarello@deri.org>
On 21 August 2012 13:39, Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org> wrote:
> All,
>
> While I support the thrust and direction of the change to %-escaping of
> spaces, I think you're being too dismissive of the (possible) legacy base.
> Given that the current RDF specification does allow spaces in RDF URI
> references, I think it would be appropriate to invoke the Postel Principle
> ("be conservative in what you do, be liberal in what you accept from
> others").
>
> In this case, I'd suggest something like:
> [[
> RDF applications SHOULD generate IRIs in which spaces are %-encoded, but MAY
> accept RDF containing RDF URI references in which spaces are not %-escaped.
> ]]

I could accept that if we had any evidence that RDF URI references
containing spaces exist anywhere. I'm sure some RDF applications have
to remain secret, but this is quite a cornercase and adds to the
perceived 'complexity tax' long associated with RDF. How many of these
problem URIs have so far been identified 'in the wild'?

Dan