Re: Turtle: Prefixes now can contain colons (":")?

From: David Robillard <d@drobilla.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 09:29:43 -0400
To: Gavin Carothers <gavin@carothers.name>
Cc: Mathias Hasselmann <mathias@taschenorakel.de>, public-rdf-comments@w3.org
On Mon, 2012-07-16 at 20:43 -0700, Gavin Carothers wrote:
[...]
> The other major grammar addition is the support for PREFIX (without
> the @) as seen in SPARQL.

Actually [Pp][Rr][Ee][Ff][Ii][Xx]

For what it's worth, as a Turtle implementer I am opposed to this
change.  It is ugly and inconsistent with the language, clearly an
import that does not belong.

While it is unfortunate that SPARQL did not use the @directive
convention from N3, Turtle does not contain SELECT and such either.
While triple copying and pasting between the languages is desirable
(even if it has polluted Turtle with path grammar and horrific escaping
rules), the directives between the two languages are not compatible.

I do not consider messing up the Turtle specification in this way
appropriate.  If implementations want to support this as an extension,
they may.  I won't.

Thank you,

-dr