Re: RDF 1.1 IRIs and %-escaping

From: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 22:31:12 +0100
Cc: David Booth <david@dbooth.org>, public-rdf-comments@w3.org
To: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
On 6 Aug 2012, at 12:01, Graham Klyne wrote:
> I think you'll find a significant body of existing data that *do* allow spaces in URIs transported as character sequences.

Where?

> and/or apps

Legacy apps don't cause interoperability problems here, unless there's actually data with spaces.

There are plenty of apps that reject spaces in IRIs, or silently convert them to spaces.

SPARQL has never allowed spaces in IRIs. I don't see people complaining about that.

Spaces in IRIs were already obsolete in 2003. The IRI draft referenced in RDF 2004 Concepts disallows spaces in IRIs. It only allows implementations to support them for backwards compatibility with earlier drafts.

Best,
Richard