Re: issues with RDB engines/dialects IRIs for EARL results

On 6/19/12 1:01 PM, Ted Thibodeau Jr wrote:
> All --
>
> See <http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/wiki/RDB2RDF/SQL_Version_IRIs>.
>
> The current table lists --
>
> Language Version       IRI
> ================       ======================================
> Core SQL:2008          http://www.w3.org/ns/r2rml#SQL2008
> Oracle Database        http://www.w3.org/ns/r2rml#Oracle
> MySQL                  http://www.w3.org/ns/r2rml#MySQL
> Microsoft SQL Server   http://www.w3.org/ns/r2rml#MSSQLServer
> HSQLDB                 http://www.w3.org/ns/r2rml#HSQLDB
> PostgreSQL             http://www.w3.org/ns/r2rml#PostgreSQL
>

> I see a few moderately significant issues --
>
> 1. Engines not listed above which should be added to cover all
>     current WG member implementations/testing include Ingres,
>     Progress OpenEdge, DB2, Informix, Sybase ASE, Sybase SQL
>     Anywhere, OpenLink Virtuoso.  (We are testing against all
>     of these.)  There may well be more.

Firebird should also be added.

ODBC and JDBC are actually safer reference points than "Core SQL:2008" .
We have to find a way to incorporate ODBC and JDBC bridges.

Note: in our R2RML tests, all of the above work fine. Thus, nothing here
is speculative.

> 2. There is a need to distinguish between versions of the above
>     engines (e.g., Oracle 8i, 9i, 10g, 11i; Microsoft SQL Server
>     6, 7, 2000, 2005, 2008, 2012; MySQL 3, 4, 5; etc.), because
>     SQL:2008 is not supported by all current versions, never mind
>     all past versions, and R2RML/DM implementation support of
>     these engines/versions will therefore vary.
>
>     I don't *think* we need to go down to build/binary version
>     level, but I do think we need to go down as far as major
>     release version of each dialect/engine.
>
>     This *could* be done by removing "Version" entirely from the
>     above ("Core SQL:2008" is arguably not a version but a dialect
>     of its own) and requiring a version disclosure along with the
>     "Dialect" (which label I'd put in place of "Language Version"
>     above)... but that is potentially clumsy, and makes the simple
>     IRIs we've minted insufficient as identifiers.

+1

> 3. If we're going to keep a live results report page, then it
>     seems we'll need to keep a live identifiers page, such that
>     new engines can be added over time.

+1

For those of us to live and breathe RDBMS connectivity middleware,
contributing to such a Wiki isn't going to be burdensome.

Kingsley

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen