Re: Review of the the DM pre CR version (Re: Final round of Direct Mapping spec changes; please review to prepare for CR)

* Enrico Franconi <franconi@inf.unibz.it> [2012-01-27 09:43+0100]

> >> Noting Marcelo's consent, I have made this edit in R1.17:
> >>
> >> s/Additionally, the direct mapping does not generate triples for NULL values; note however that it is not known how to relate the behaviour of the obtained RDF graph with the standard SQL semantics of the NULL values of the source RDB.
> >> For a detailed discussion of this issue, see a forthcoming working group note.
> >> /The direct mapping does not generate triples for NULL values/
>
> Obviously having that sentence was the reason for all my fussing around. I will not approve that edit :-)
>
> > This is more than what I asked for. The only thing I was asking is to remove the very last sentence referring to the forthcoming working group note. Doing the edit you did goes against the WG resolution, that is for sure, and would lead to unnecessary discussions again.
>
> Indeed.
>
> > I think the sentence should be:
> >
> > [[[
> > Additionally, the direct mapping does not generate triples for NULL values; note however that it is not known how to relate the behavior of the obtained RDF graph with the standard SQL semantics of the NULL values of the source RDB.
> > ]]]
>
> Agreed.

In R1.20, I broke it up into two sentences:
[[
The direct mapping does not generate triples for NULL values.
Note that it is not known how to relate the behavior of the obtained RDF graph with the standard SQL semantics of the NULL values of the source RDB.
]]
and believe that the current text resolves this issue. I believe however that expressing this in terms of use cases would be more helpful to the reader than is text that says "we don't know if we did this right". Suggestions?

--
-ericP