Re: Proposal for the Direct Mapping

Eric,

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 5:21 PM, Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org> wrote:

> * Juan Sequeda <juanfederico@gmail.com> [2011-07-29 07:40-0500]
> > Eric, Alexandre,
> >
> > Do you agree with this proposal?
>
> I have to speak with Ivan and Thomas before committing resources to
> re-writing the DM.

I don't think we have to re-write. It's actually just moving things around
and adding new (missing) information.

> Most W3C specs of this complexity have a normative
> formal representation to eliminate ambiguity and to provide a formal
> model as a basis for future work.

I would definitely think that R2RML is much more complex than the Direct
Mapping. It has to be much more complex.

> RDF is on the simple side; its
> formal representation is small enough to be trivial (though always
> written in papers as something like
>  G = { ( (URI×BNode) URI (URI×BNode×Literal)
>          | URI∩BNode=ø, Node∩Literal=ø, Literal∩URI=ø) }
> ) while SPARQL has a pretty complex formalism with graph patterns et
> solutions which is used a lot in advancing the state of the art of
> e.g. rewriting to SQL or conjunction optimization. There's some cost
> to eliminating a normative formalism.

The issue is that we have two formalisms, and we can't have both, otherwise
Richard will formally object.

Looking forward to Ivan and Thomas' response.