Re: What is Oracle's objection to the use of Turtle as R2RML syntax?

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 5:23 AM, Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>wrote:

> Souri,
>
> On 13 Dec 2011, at 23:40, Souripriya Das wrote:
> > OWL too was called a language, "Web Ontology Language". But, it just
> defined a vocabulary. It did not define any syntax.
>
> OWL defines three new syntaxes:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-syntax/
> http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-xml-serialization/
> http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-manchester-syntax/
>
> > One can use any RDF syntax (RDF/XML, N-Triple, ...) for OWL.
>
> [[
> As noted above, any conformant OWL 2 tool MUST accept ontology documents
> using the RDF/XML serialization … A conformant OWL 2 tool MAY also accept
> ontology documents using other serializations, for example Turtle
> ]]
> http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-conformance/#Tool_Conformance
>
> RDF/XML is the single normative OWL syntax. My desire is to have a single
> normative R2RML syntax (but it should be Turtle rather than the outdated
> and in many ways broken RDF/XML).

Ok. I'm now convinced. If RDF/XML is the single normative OWL syntax, then
there should be a single normative R2RML syntax too... and RDF/XML is too
complicated for this. So you got my vote for Turtle to be the "single
normative R2RML syntax".

However, other syntaxes *should* be supported by implementations. R2RML is
basically a vocabulary. Written in Turtle, it looks like a language, but
it's still a vocabulary. R2RML mappings are instantiations of this
vocabulary. So technically, I can import the R2RML vocabulary into an
ontology editor, and use the ontology editor to create the mappings. Does
this really work right now? I don't know. Will people actually do this? I
don't know. But it could. And all these tools support different syntaxes.
So if I were to create an R2RML mapping using an existing ontology editor
tool, export it as RDF/XML and send it to somebody else and they open it in
an R2RML specific tool.. everything should work.