Re: Reverse Mapping RDF2RDF

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 9:31 AM, Alexandre Bertails <bertails@w3.org> wrote:

> [ snip ]
> > > The relation between RDB, RDF, SPARQL and SQL should be formalized and
> > > should not rely only on examples. It's called semantics preservation
> > > -- a well-known problem in the compilation field -- and IMO it should
> > > be in a normative section.
> > >
> > > Eirc and I are totally confident that in the case of the direct
> > > mapping, we can map any SPARQL query to its equivalent SQL query.
> >
> > Where is the proof?
>
> heh :-)
>
> I think we first need to have a definitive version of RDB + Direct Mapping.

I don't think the proof doesn't depend on the "definitive version".
Essentially there is a concept of direct mapping a RDB to RDF. The proof
must work, regardless the way you represent it (sets, rules).

The proof is actually simple if you consider the direct mapping rules.
Angles and Gutierrez proved that "SPARQL and non-recursive Datalog with
negation have the equivalent recursive power, and hence, by classical
results, SPARQL is equivalent from an expressive point of view to Relational
Algebra". By representing the mapping in datalog rules, one can represent
SPARQL as a datalog query, and then use the mapping rules to rewrite the
query to relational algebra.

Therefore, thanks to the Angles and Gutierrez result, we don't have to worry
about the SPARQL to SQL issue, from the direct mapping perspective. For
R2RML, if that language has more expressivity than datalog, then we might be
in trouble.

> The first step is to be sure that this process is complete. For RDB,
> this is done by definition, through its abstract model. The proof that
> the direct mapping can react on *any* RDB instance is done
> automagically -- well, not so magic :-) -- by Scala and its
> type-checking.

We are still working on sparql2sql but you can already play with what