From: public-rdb2rdf-wg-request@w3.org [mailto:public-rdb2rdf-wg-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Lee Feigenbaum
Sent: Sunday, March 21, 2010 5:51 PM
To: Juan Sequeda
Cc: public-rdb2rdf-wg@w3.org
Subject: Re: Start discussion

On 3/21/2010 8:26 PM, Juan Sequeda wrote:
> Hi Everybody,
>
> There has been no discussion at all on the list, and that honestly
> worries me.

I share this concern, which is one reason that I decided to join the
group and try to add what I can.

> I know that we need to have a Use Case documents, but it is not
> completely clear to me what else we need to turn in and by when.
>
> One issue that I personally feel than needs to be settled is the
> semantics of the language. One we have this defined, it is just a matter
> of deciding on what is the syntax. I don't think we have made much
> progress on this issue. I have proposed to develop the semantics of the
> mapping language in datalog. I'd be up for working on this in
> conjunction with Marcelo Arenas and Dan Miranker.

Ideally, I'd hope that the semantics of the language follow from the
requirements which follow from the use cases.

As far as datalog, I know next to nothing about it, so my questions are
probably naive. Is there a datalog standard that we will be able to
normatively reference if the semantics of the language are given in
datalog?

Also, I'm not sure if separating the syntax & semantics is definitely an
easy thing to do. I know that there are people on the group who advocate
that the mapping language be based on SPARQL CONSTRUCT queries combined
with a default mapping from the relational model to the RDF model. In
this case, I imagine it would make more sense to lean on the SPARQL
algebra/semantics?

Lee