Re: D2RQ and Revelytix semantics

Hi Juan,

On 26 Jul 2010, at 21:51, Juan Sequeda wrote:
> https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1APTqD2lJLRjwV6gmPKqDRqC3aT8bozHF0udIXndMNWQ

The D2RQ bits look good AFAICT.

> - Both mapping languages have the semantics established as
> Database-Instance-and-Schema Mapping [1] (there is a definition of
> Classes
> and Properties).

D2RQ is *mostly* database-instance-only. If one uses an auto-generated
mapping, one can optionally enable the generation of class and
property definitions for the auto-generated class/property URIs. When
the mapping author customizes the mapping and replaces the auto-
generated URIs with URIs from shared vocabularies/ontologies, then
these definitions are no longer needed.

> There is no way to formally prove this because both
> languages don't have existing defined semantics (right?)

The semantics of the D2RQ language is defined by the implementation,
and documented in the manual ;-)

If you talk about *formally* defined semantics, you're right it
doesn't have it.

> - Revelytix language has different ways of saying the same thing for
> sake of
> query optimization ( right?). (I personally believe this is
> something we
> should avoid. Language and implementation details should be
> separate... just
> look at SQL)

In D2RQ there are a number of instances where one can say the same
thing in different ways. This is mostly for author convenience --
syntactic sugar.

Best,
Richard