Re: Follow up on today's conference call...

Harry,

In our presentation

    A SQL-based Approach for Mapping Relational data to RDF

Date: 2009-12-01

Presenter: Souri Das and Seema Sundara (Oracle)

Material:

    * presentation
      http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/rdb2rdf/wiki/images/4/43/RDB2RDF_Map_viaSQL_w3c_final.pdf

we had identified the requirements for mapping and then in the last four
slides titled:
- No DB: A Simple Syntax for Classes
- No DB: A Simple Syntax for Properties
- No DB: A Simple Syntax for Constraints
- Summary
we showed how a simple syntax can be sufficient to specify the mapping
between
- "SQL view-definition strings" and the corresponding RDF class names
- Columns in the view definition (referred via its position in the
sequence of cols) and the corresponding RDF property names
  (note: foreign key (referential integrity) constraints (defined in the
constraints syntax below) correspond to RDF properties as well)
- Constraint definitions identifying the respective column sequences for
the keys

As we had said during the talk, since the complexity of the view
definition gets taken care of by use of SQL language itself, the
remaining requirements of mapping the 1) view names to RDF classes, 2)
view columns (and referential constraints) to RDF properties, and 3)
specifying the key definitions for the constraints (esp. for referential
constraints), are simple and can even be expressed, for example, by
using a simple subset of D2RQ's RDF vocabulary (d2rq:ClassMap,
d2rq:PropertyBridge, etc., but excluding all complex vocabulary words
such as d2rq:join, etc.)

Thanks,
- Souri.