Re: ISSUE-3

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Sören Auer
<auer@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>wrote:

> Michael Hausenblas wrote:
>
>> Though I see your point, DDL is the most general form of what we are
>> talking
>> about, here, covering data model elements
>>

> I actually think DDL is not a very general form, but rather a very specific
> language for creating and manipulating relational schema objects.

IMO, we should stick to the specifics. Hence, using DDL should be
appropriate.

>  (for sure DROP, ALTER is not in
>> scope, but this is a no-brainer, I guess ;)
>>

> Ok, but DDLs consist *only* of such statements, cf. e.g.:
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/sql-syntax-data-definition.html

What is missing from that list, that we should take in account?

>  I'm fine with DDL and think we have used it in the discussion throughout
>> as
>> such ...
>>

> We can use the term DDL if everybody in the group got used to it, but from
> a conceptual point of view I think this is wrong and in order to avoid
> confusion with the outside world we should rather talk about /data model
> elements/ or /schema objects/.

I think we can combine the two in this list that we are going to make. But
we should also be on the same page. I see that you have Foreign Key,
Integrity Constraints and Referential Integrity separate. Why? Aren't
referential constraints a subset of integrity constraints. And a foreign key
is a referential constraints. Those shouldn't be separate, but express them
as subclasses.

Sören