Re: XML-Schema with XQUERY?

The XSD specification includes a schema component model in very abstract terms, and I think that what you are asking for is an API to access this component model from XQuery. Hopefully I have understood your requirement correctly.

There's no W3C specification for such an API. The closest thing available is Schema Component Designators, see

http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-ref/

but this doesn't directly give you access from XQuery.

Other (non-W3C) solutions that you might like to look at are the Java API for schema components (implemented in Xerces), and Saxon's extension library providing access to schema components from XSLT and XQuery, described here:

http://www.saxonica.com/documentation/index.html#!functions/saxon/schema

Saxon also has the ability to export an XML representation of the schema component model, described here:

http://www.saxonica.com/documentation/index.html#!schema-processing/scm

Michael Kay
Saxonica
mike@saxonica.com