Back references inside character classes

From: Paul J. Lucas <paul@lucasmail.org>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 09:01:59 -0800
To: public-qt-comments@w3.org
The W3C test K2-MatchesFunc-11:

	matches("abcd", "(asd)[\1]")

tests that an XQuery implementation should raise the FORX0002 error for a back reference inside a character class.  However, after reading:

* XQuery and XPath Functions and Operators, section 7.6.1
* XML Schema Part 2, appendix F

I can't find where any specification explicitly forbids it.  Can somebody point me to the section of a specification that does?  Thanks.

- Paul