Re: [FT] Meaning of FTST0008 and FTST0018

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 09:00:19 -0700, Paul J. Lucas <paul@lucasmail.org>
wrote:

> From the specification section 3.4.3:
>
>> If the URI specifies a thesaurus that is not found in the statically
>> known thesauri, an error is raised [err:FTST0018].
>
> and section 3.4.7:
>
>> If the URI specifies a list of stop words that is not found in the
>> statically known stop word lists, an error is raised [err:FTST0008].
>
> I don't understand why URIs for these things would be "statically
> known."  If the user want to specify some arbitrary URI that points to a
> valid thesaurus or a valid stop-word list, why shouldn't that "just
> work?"
>
> Does "statically known" mean that the implementation has a set of
> hard-coded URIs that the user can only select from?  If not, then what
> does "statically known" mean here?
>
> - Paul

(For myself)
"Statically known" means that it is part of the static context when the
query is analyzed.  It is up to the implementation to decide what
URIs it will consider as part of the static context, and whether it is
a fixed list or more open.  I think the situation of thesauri is a little
different from stop words, in that stop words are just about always
handled as an index time operation (indeed: I can't think of any
full text implementations that treat them in any other way), while
thesauri are sometimes applied as an index time operation but
frequently applies as a query-time expansion.  So the idea here
is that if an implementation wants to restrict the set of stop words
or thesaurus expansions used to those that it actually indexes with,
it can do that.   If it wants to apply everything in real time on the fly,
it can do that do, by declaring every dereferencable URI as "statically
known".

Cheers

//Mary

Mary.Holstege@marklogic.com