Re: [XSLTerrata] Undocumented xsl:sort/@lang incompatibility?

On Mon, May 28 2007 00:23:03 +0100, Michael Kay wrote:
> In my view this is a product issue and not a spec issue. A product that
> chooses to maintain backwards-compatibility here can do so while remaining
> both within the letter and the spirit of both specifications. The spec
> doesn't require products to be backwards-compatible, but that's true
> wherever things are implementation-defined.

I am not saying that a product should be required to maintain
backwards compatibility when 'lang' is not specified.  I don't even
think it would be a good idea.

Collations allow much better control of sorting than does specifying a
single language code, and defaulting the language from the system
environment does mean that people in different parts of the world can
get different results for the same input.  (For an implementation to
choose to default to the Unicode codepoint collation makes sense since
it has to be implemented anyway, it is easily understood, it gives
consistent results in any environment, and it is likely to be fast.)

I was merely asking whether the different expectations in the absence
of the 'lang' attribute on xsl:sort should be noted in Appendix J.

Regards,

Tony Graham.