[XQuery full text] i18n core comment: Notion of language

From: <fsasaki@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 21:52:28 +0900
To: public-qt-comments@w3.org, public-i18n-core@w3.org

Comment from the i18n review of:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-xpath-full-text-10-20070518/

Comment 2
At http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/0706-xquery-fulltext/
Editorial/substantive: E
Location in reviewed document:
1.1
Notion of language

Comment:

The second numbered item in the first list contains:

\"There is an expectation that a full-text search will support language-based searches which substring search cannot.\"

We propose to add at the end of that list item the following sentence:

\"Note that language is used as a broad term here and throughout this document. Language information can encompass information about the users language, region, scripts, variants etc., which all influence the search result. Compare for example a search for color which gives a result for American English, but not for British English.\"

Rationale: We think that readers should be made aware of the information beyond language used in search.