RE: http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform has no DTD anymore

From: Michael Kay <mhk@mhk.me.uk>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 22:32:04 +0100
To: "'Nestor Urquiza'" <nestoru@yahoo.com>, <public-qt-comments@w3.org>

> Not sure if this is the right list but I found out that the
> url that specified the DTD for XSLT:
> http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform is not longer hosted
> there. Now there is hosted an xml referring to a schema to be
> comming someday.

I don't think there ever has been a DTD at this address. It's a namespace
URI, and in principle namespace URIs don't have to point to anything, though
W3C has adopted a convention of putting something at the location to tell
you where to find a definition of the namespace, in the form of a schema or
otherwise.

Further, it's not really possible to do any very useful validation of an
XSLT stylesheet with a DTD or schema. You can do a simple amount of
structural checking, but the way to validate a stylesheet is to present it
to an XSLT processor.

Michael Kay
(personal response)