Re: Types defines in F & O and WXS 1.1

Michael Kay wrote:

>>3) To explicitly mention the upcoming "double" specification
>>of the types(in
>>the XQuery specs, and the upcoming WXS 1.1), and handle it
>>gracefully, by
>>perhaps: 1) mention that the definitions are identical; and
>>2) to mention
>>that the XQuery WG intend to release an errata which replaces
>>XDM/F&O's
>>definitions with references to WXS 1.1 once it is released.
>>(Well, perhaps
>>not exactly that, but hopefully the big picture is clear.)
>>
>>Such a solution would obviously be far from optimal(if at all
>>feasible),
>>

>It's no worse than the current situation where we paper over the cracks
>between the syntax of XML 1.1 names and XML Schema 1.0 names in effect by
>telling implementors to sort it out as best they can, and referring to an
>informal note from the Schema WG for guidance on how to do so.
>
>In the end, there will always be a few rough edges.

I agree. But producing rough edges for our users is not a goal.
Consistency makes things a lot easier to learn, and makes our specs a
lot easier to read. The main question is if we can reasonably use names
that will appear in a future Recommendation, based on the assurance from
the Schema WG that these types will be there. And I'm sure we'll discuss
that extensively next week ;->

Jonathan

--
Read my Blog: http://blogs.datadirect.com/jonathan_robie/