From: w3c-xml-query-wg-request@w3.org
[mailto:w3c-xml-query-wg-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Daniel Engovatov
Sent: 13 May 2005 03:14
To: public-qt-comments@w3.org; w3c-xml-query-wg@w3.org
Subject: [Norton AntiSpam] "deterministic" indicator for external functions.

We propose to add an optional clause to the external function declaration to
indicate whether the external function always returns the same results for
given argument values ("deterministic").

An example use case would be to allow users to indicate that two external
functions embedded into xquery: f:random() and
f:verySlowDeterministicExternalWebService() should be treated differently by
the query processor.

That can be implemented by changing FunctionDecl to

[26]    FunctionDecl    ::=    "declare" "function" QName "(" ParamList?
(")" | (")" "as" SequenceType)) (EnclosedExpr | ("external" (<"not"
"deterministic"> | "deterministic")?))

Daniel.