RE: [F&O] Casting to xs:NOTATION, xs:QName not clarified

Frank:
My apologies!  I thought the issue had been clarified in the ensuing discussion but, clearly, I was mistaken.

When you cast, you, in general, cast an expression.  The prohibition for casting from string to QName in the casting section refers to this general case.  If you do have a string literal you can construct a QName from it.

If you feel strongly abt this, we can consider a change that says "casting from string to QName is not allowed in general but allowed in the special case that you are casting a string literal" but this seems like a minor
corner case to me.

All the best, Ashok