Re: [F&O] Casting to xs:NOTATION, xs:QName not clarified

At Saturday, 15 January 2005, Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.
nl> wrote:

>Frank Legler wrote:
>> Hello Ashok,
>>
>> Does that mean that it is possible to construct xs:QName and xs:
NOTATION
>> from xs:string,
>> but it is not possible to cast xs:QName and xs:NOTATION from a xs:
>> string?
>
> From section 17.6 of XQuery 1.0 and XPath 2.0 Functions and Operators:
>
>"Casting from xs:string and xdt:untypedAtomic to xs:QName, xs:NOTATION,

>or types derived from them is not possible because it requires knowledge

>of the namespace context. Constructor functions are available to
>construct values of these types provided that the lexical representation

>is known statically."

I still do not understand why we differentiate between casting and
construction here.
Given the following examples
  (1) "a" cast as xs:QName   (: invalid according to the spec :)
    and
  (2) xs:QName("a")          (: valid according to the spec :)

Don't both examples require knowledge of the namespace context?
And why is a static evaluation possible for (2) but not for (1)?

Regards,
Frank

Mail was send from https://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/