Re: Removing trailing decimals

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 07:16:41 -0500
To: Michael Kay <mhk@mhk.me.uk>
CC: public-qt-comments@w3.org

Michael Kay wrote:

> When we made this decision, we did discuss whether there was a need to
> enhance format-number() to provide both options, and decided that this would
> be feature-creep. There are higher-priority enhancements, such as supporting
> exponential notation, but we're trying quite hard at the moment to enforce a
> policy of "no new features". In the use case you mention, it would be
> entirely acceptable to use a picture of "0.0#" and produce the output "3.0".

In terms of the compiled C code, it would be. However, in terms of the
source code I'm not quite so sure. Where I've seen 3. used in practice
is among scientists who have a very clear picture of significant digits,
and typically assume that numbers are +/-1 in the last decimal place
unless specified otherwise. 3. does not mean the same thing to them as
3.0 or 3.00, even if the C compiler treats them the same. That said,
this is very obscure, and I agree that backwards compatibility is more
important here.