Re: [F&O] fn:resolve-uri and non-hierarchical base URI

From: Colin Paul Adams <colin@colina.demon.co.uk>
Date: 09 Feb 2005 10:00:14 +0000
To: "Michael Kay" <mhk@mhk.me.uk>
Cc: "'Ashok Malhotra'" <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com>, "'K Karun'" <k.karun@oracle.com>, <public-qt-comments@w3.org>

    >> It is clear, I think. There is nothing that says that the
    >> xml:base attribute value must be absolute, therefore it can be
    >> relative.  But the infoset says that the [bas URI] property is
    >> determined according to XML Base, and this says that the base
    >> URI of an element is the value of the xml:base attribute if it
    >> is present. so this property can be a relative URI that needs
    >> resolving.
    >>
    >> Now fn:resolve-uri (first form) uses the base URI property from
    >> the static context, which is defined to be an absolute URI.

    Michael> But the common use case for resolve uri is

    Michael> resolve-uri(@href, base-uri(.))

    Michael> so we need to ensure that base-uri(.) delivers an
    Michael> absolute URI.

I agree with this 100%.

    Michael> We could do this either by saying that the
    Michael> base-uri() function takes the base-uri property of the

I assume you mean the dm:base-uri accessor value - not the infoset
property (currently the data model defines the two to be the same).

    Michael> node and, if it is relative, resolves it recursively; or
    Michael> we could say that the base-uri property of the node is
    Michael> the pre-resolved absolute value.

You can't re-define the infoset property, so I guess you again mean
the dm:base-uri accessor value. Or am I missing something? I can't
find any data-model property values.
--
Colin Paul Adams
Preston Lancashire