RE: [XSLT 2.0] Data types for a Basic XSLT processor

Thanks for the comment. The public comment period has closed but we'll still
add this to the agenda if we can find time for it.

However: a personal response:

(a) I think there are likely to be very few stylesheets whose performance
will benefit noticeably from using 32-bit rather than 64-bit arithmetic. If
you're going to trade correctness of output for speed of output, you need a
very clear view of how much performance you think you can gain by it.

(b) xs:integer and xs:decimal are types for which there are numeric literals
defined in the XPath syntax. Also, note that the result of adding two xs:int
values is an xs:integer value. They are therefore pretty fundamental. (Of
course, an xs:int is an xs:integer, so it's valid for an implementation to
return an xs:int as the result of 2+2. But it's not valid to give the wrong
answer if the result of the addition exceeds 32 bits.)

Michael Kay