RE: [F&O] IBM-FO-037: Strange description of fn:unordered

--- Michael Rys <mrys@microsoft.com> wrote:
> I agree with Don's comment.
>
> Fn:unordered() is just a non-deterministic unordering of the passed in
> sequence. The function is not a second order function as you imply.

This is not implied by me, but by the really strange function definition
and the answers I got to my questions about the definition of the function
(e.g. this function is necessary in order to achieve better efficiency (of
what?) of some unspecified processing that would be slower if it had to
produce the sequence in order).

If I didn't understand correctly the function definition and the
explanations, it is a fact that I was not alone in this.

> So
> the semantics is very easy and simple.

Then its name will better be:
  fn:unorder()

and everything I've seen about the necessity for this function in order to
achieve better efficiency -- every such explanation is no longer true.

Dimitre Novatchev.