[F&O] IBM-FO-039: Argument types in max and min

From: Don Chamberlin <chamberl@almaden.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 05:58:45 -0800
To: public-qt-comments@w3.org
(IBM-FO-039): Sections 15.3.3 (fn:max) and 15.3.4 (fn:min): These sections
say that "$arg must contain only items of a single type or one of its
subtypes for which the gt operator is defined." This would seem to prevent
(for example) finding the max of two values of type xs:long and xs:short,
even they are both derived from xs:integer which has a gt operator. It
would also prevent finding the max of two values whose types are both
derived from xs:string. I do not think this is intended. I think you mean
to say that "all the items in $arg must either be numeric or be derived
from a common base type that has a gt operator." Similarly, Section 15.3.5
(fn:sum) says that "The input sequence must contain items of a single type
or one of its subtypes." Again, this would prevent finding the sum of two
values of type xs:long and xs:short. The rule should be restated to accept
all numeric values.

--Don Chamberlin