[F&O] IBM-FO-024: Apply implicit timezone rule uniformly

From: Don Chamberlin <chamberl@almaden.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 05:54:14 -0800
To: public-qt-comments@w3.org
(IBM-FO-024): In Section 9.3, Comparison of Duration, Date, and Time
Values, the last paragraph says "If the timezone part is (), the implicit
timezone is used to adjust the normalized value as necessary." I am
wondering why this rule is found only in the description of the comparison
functions and not other functions that operate on dates and times. Section
9.4 (Component Extraction Functions) does not state such a rule. Section
9.7, which contains arithmetic functions on dates and times, says "If any
argument ... does not contain an explicit timezone, then ... an implicit
timezone ... is assumed to be present." This rule does not say anything
about adjusting the normalized value. I find it confusing that the rule
dealing with implicit timezones is stated in different and possibly
conflicting ways in Sections 9.3 and 9.7, and missing in Section 9.4.

--Don Chamberlin