Re: [XSLT2.0] PSVI, XPath, and optimization

From: Niko Matsakis <niko@datapower.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 09:41:09 -0400
Cc: <public-qt-comments@w3.org>, "'Mary Holstege'" <mary.holstege@marklogic.com>
To: "Michael Kay" <mhk@mhk.me.uk>

> I would add one remark that's specific to XSLT, which is that we are
> indeed
> adding a construct to the language to allow users to specify that a
> stylesheet should treat the source document as untyped, effectively
> discarding any type annotations that are present.

I am glad to hear that; in general, while it is good that the option to
ignore schema information is available to implementors, I think it is
far superior to include a standard way to specify most things users
will commonly want to do.  Otherwise, each implementor is forced to add
their own specific knob and cross-compatibility becomes a huge pain.

The node-set function in XSLT 1.0 is a good example: each product had
their own node-set function, and as a result you see stylesheets with
many different versions, each specific to a particular vendor.

Anyway, I appreciate the replies.

Niko