Re: ORA-SE-290-E: Title misuses the term "data models"

From: Henry Zongaro <zongaro@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 14:12:50 -0400
To: Stephen Buxton <Stephen.Buxton@oracle.com>
Cc: public-qt-comments@w3.org

Steve,

     In [1], you submitted the following comment on the Last Call Working
Draft of XSLT 2.0 and XQuery 1.0 Serialization.

Stephen Buxton wrote on 2004-02-18 05:22:56 PM:
> SECTION 2: Serializing arbitrary data models
>
> The use of the term "data models" in the title is incorrect.
> A data model is an abstract specification of what values are
> permissible within a system.  You are not talking about
> serializing arbitrary abstract specifications.
> What you mean here is "serializing arbitrary sequences".
> This abuse of the term "data model" is persistent throughout
> the entire specification.  It would be a good idea to scan
> the entire specification for "data model" and use the proper
> terminology for those so-called "data models" that are
> really values.

     Thank you for pointing out this error.  The editors of the various
XQuery and XSLT specifications decided that the appropriate term to use
when speaking of a value is "instance of the data model", and that the
term "data model" should be used only when speaking of that specification.

     I have applied this editorial change throughout the Serialization
specification.

Thanks,

Henry
[1]