[XSLT2] OB06 xsl:analyze-string

From: Oliver Becker <obecker@informatik.hu-berlin.de>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 18:45:57 +0100 (MET)
To: public-qt-comments@w3.org

http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-xslt20-20031112/#analyze-string

Hello,

the new functionality for processing simple text using regular expressions
is very useful. However, I wonder why it is restricted to one expression
per instruction.

A more powerful instruction could allow multiple regular expressions that
will be processed in lex-like manner [1]. That means the regex attribute
would be a property of xsl:matching-substring and not of xsl:analyze-string.
Replacing multiple substrings with proper markup then would require less
nested XSLT elements. Having only one xsl:matching-substring in this new
semantics would behave exactly like the current version.

Moreover, I believe this model reflects the template model of XSLT for
text processing: xsl:analyze-string is a container like xsl:stylesheet,
xsl:matching-substring is the counterpart for xsl:template.

I would be great if this enhancement of xsl:analyze-string could be
considered for the final XSLT specification.

Best regards,
Oliver Becker

[1] M. E. Lesk and E. Schmidt: "Lex - A Lexical Analyzer Generator"
    e.g. http://dinosaur.compilertools.net/lex/index.html

|  ob|do        Dipl.Inf. Oliver Becker                             |
|  --+--        E-Mail: obecker@informatik.hu-berlin.de             |
|  op|qo        WWW:    http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~obecker |