[F&O] Inconsistent formatting of error conditions

From: Andrew Eisenberg <andrew.eisenberg@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 07:56:09 -0500
To: public-qt-comments@w3.org
The raising of errors has an inconsistent appearance across the family of
documents. This issue is purely editorial in nature.

XQuery 1.0, in Section 2.1.1, Static Context, states:

        If analysis of an expression relies on some component of the
static context that has
        not been assigned a value, a static error is raised.[err:XP0001]

Appendix F, Summary of Error Conditions, states:

        err:XP0001

            It is a static error if analysis of an expression relies on
some component of the static context that has not been assigned a value.

F&O, in Section 7.5.1, fn:contains, states:

        If the specified collation is unsuitable for this function an
error ·may· be raised
        [collation unsuitable for this function].

Section D, Error Summary (Non-Normative), states:

        err:FOCH0004, collation unsuitable for this function

Finally, Serialization, in Section 2, Serializing Arbitrary Data Models,
states:

        It is a serialization error if the value cannot be cast to
xs:string.

I suggest that clauses of this nature be made more consistent in their
style. I prefer the style used by XQuery 1.0.

                                                        -- Andrew

Andrew Eisenberg
IBM
5 Technology Park Drive
Westford, MA  01886

andrew.eisenberg@us.ibm.com
Phone: 978-399-5158    Fax: 978-399-5117