Re: [XQuery] MS-XQ-LC1-124

Daniela Florescu wrote:

>> Thus we would like to propose:
>> 1. Make default validation mode to be skip
>

> Agreed.

By default, this would mean that a constructed element "foo" would not
match element(foo). I'm not at all sure that's a good idea.

>> 2. Remove Schema context from the spec
>

> Agreed.

I think this flies in the face of usage in documents governed by XML
Schema. Most elements are locally declared. When we did a serious count,
it was about 80% in the schemas we examined - we did this count
specifically to determine if this feature was needed. For an invoice, do
you really want to make it impossible to specify a customer element or a
product element as a function parameter? That's the kind of problem you
would get if you did this.

>> 3. Make support for validation modes lax and strict and the validate
>> keyword an optional feature.
>

> XQuery has already too many optional features (people are
> already complaining that it doesn't look like a standard)
> We should try to minimize them, not to add more of them.
>
> Could we tie it with schema import ?

I think tying it to schema import makes sense.

Jonathan