RE: [F&O] 6.3 NaN difference between XQuery and XMLSchema

Sarah:
As you correctly point out, F&O uses IEEE 754 arithmetic which is at
variance with XML Schema is two ways: XML Schema says that NaN equals
itself and defines only a single zero.  These will be corrected in XML
Schema 1.1.

If the WGs agree, we could amplify the note in 6.1 a bit to make this clearer.  For example:

This specification uses IEEE-754 arithmetic for xs:float and xs:double values.
This differs from [XML Schema Part 2: Datatypes Second Edition] which defines
NaN as being equal to itself and defines only a single zero. [IEEE 754-1985] arithmetic, however,  treats NaN as unequal to all other values including itself and can produce distinct results of positive zero and negative zero. (These are two different machine representations for the same [XML Schema Part 2: Datatypes Second Edition] value.) The text accompanying several functions discusses behaviour for both positive and negative zero inputs and outputs in the interest of alignment with [IEEE 754-1985].

All the best, Ashok