Re: URIs versus wannabe-URIs

From: Jonathan Robie <jonathan.robie@datadirect.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 08:51:34 -0400
To: Michael Kay <mhk@mhk.me.uk>
Cc: w3c-xsl-wg@w3.org, "'XQuery >> W3C XQuery'" <w3c-xml-query-wg@w3.org>, public-qt-comments@w3.org

I support this.

Do we need to do anything beyond reference the following text from the
XML Schema spec? It already mentions XLink escaping, and the
requirement that the result be a valid URI:

 > The ·lexical space· of anyURI is finite-length character sequences
 > which, when the algorithm defined in Section 5.4 of [XML Linking
 > Language] is applied to them, result in strings which are legal URIs
 > according to [RFC 2396], as amended by [RFC 2732].
 >
 >    NOTE: Spaces are, in principle, allowed in the ·lexical space· of
 >    anyURI, however, their use is highly discouraged (unless they are
 >    encoded by %20).

The XLink escaping algorithm referenced above is described here:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/PR-xlink-20001220/#link-locators

Jonathan

[RFC 2396]

    Tim Berners-Lee, et. al. RFC 2396: Uniform Resource Identifiers
    (URI): Generic Syntax.. 1998. Available at:

    http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt

[RFC 2792]

    RFC 2732: Format for Literal IPv6 Addresses in
    URL's. 1999. Available at:

    http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2732.txt

[ XML Linking Language ]

     World Wide Web Consortium. XML Linking Language (XLink). Available
     at: http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/PR-xlink-20001220/