RE: typing of integer operations in Xpath2

At the general level, I have to say my experience is different. I find that
type checking catches quite a few of my sillier coding errors, and that the
price of doing conversions explicitly is generally worth paying. It is a
fine balance, though, and I agree with you that this particular problem
which arises when (@colspan+1) returns a double rather than an integer is
one that we ought to fix. (The other one I would like to fix is that
concat() should implicitly convert its arguments to strings - even Java does
this).

We have looked at most of the solutions you propose. In my view the right
(i.e. least problematic) answer is (2).