[XSLT 2.0] Why doesn't XSLT have an <xsl:else> element?

From: <Svgdeveloper@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 09:24:20 EST
To: public-qt-comments@w3.org
A few days ago I was asked the question as to why XSLT doesn't have an <
xsl:else> element associated with an <xsl:if> element. I didn't have an explanation
that seemed to me to be compelling.

Is there a good reason for the absence of <xsl:else>?

I am not asking if there is a workaround. I can think of a couple in XSLT 1.0
and three in XSLT 2.0.

The question is why isn't there an <xsl:else> element available?

I suppose the implicit possible follow up question, depending on the weight
of the answer to the first question, is why don't we add an <xsl:else> element
to XSLT 2.0?

Andrew Watt