RE: [xslt2 func/op] tokenizing "abba" to ("a","b","b","a")

> Kay, Michael wrote:
> > We decided that fn:tokenize("abba", "") should be an error; more
> > specifically, fn:tokenize($in, $regex) is an error if
> fn:matches("",
> > $regex) is true.
>
> I do not agree that this is a good decision. Many programmers will be
> annoyed to find out that this common and useful functionality is
> missing, at least I will.

You may be right. However, all my experience as a software developer is that
if you want to ship a product with both timeliness and quality, then when
you get into the final phases you have to be prepared to throw out features
that are proving troublesome from a requirements/design point of view. We
haven't succeeded in producing a design here that keeps everyone happy, and
I think the right thing is to pull the feature rather than ship something
where half the users think we have designed it wrong.