RE: Abbreviated Syntax "//"

I think you are suggesting that "//" as a free-standing expression should
mean the same as "/descendant-or-self::node()", that is, it should select
all the nodes in a document except attributes and namespaces.

If you can explain what use-cases require this construct, your argument
might be a little more convincing. At present you can do this using either
of the expressions "/descendant-or-self::node()" or "/|//node()", and I
can't say that those are expressions I see being used so often than a
shorter syntax for them is needed.

There definitely are parsing difficulties using "//" as both an operator and
an expression, just as there are with "/"; for example the expression "/ or
-1" is a well-known ambiguity in the XPath 1.0 grammar, and extending the
meaning of "//" would certainly exacerbate this.